Educate yourself about diabetes – knowledge about diabetes will enable you to provide the support needed by your loved one.
Individuals differ in how they are affected by diabetes, and in how they face the daily challenges of living with diabetes. Let your loved one know you are there for them, and ask them what kind of help they want from you.
- Someone to remind them of, and accompany them to their diabetes care visits
- Someone to provide a reminder for blood glucose monitoring and taking medications
- Someone to participate in physical activities with them
Make it easier for your loved one to make healthy choices
- It becomes easier to eat healthy when everyone around you is doing the same
- Place more low-calorie foods and snacks in the shopping basket
- Offer to share a meal when eating out
- Offer less healthier foods in smaller portions
- Plan physical activities with loved one
Refrain from policing them
- Refrain from judging and lecturing
- Demonstrate understanding and compassion.